Food for checking Thyroid problems
Main symptoms of Thyroid problems are overweight, tension and weakness. This increases stress in daily life. These problems can be prevented by taking nutritious food. One has to be active physically and mentally to lead a happy life. But when there are problems like Thyroids, this will not be possible. There are two types in Thyroid problems. One is Hyperthyroidism and the other one is Hypothyroidism. According to the problem, suitable food should be taken by them.
Hyperthyroidism is a problem that is seen mostly in women than in men. This problem is caused when Thyroid gland releases Thyroxin hormone more than required by the body. Common symptoms of Hyperthyroidism are sweat, tension, losing weight, lack of concentration, increased heart beat, irregular periods etc. Latest studies revealed that one in every two thousand pregnant women is suffering from Hyperthyroidism. This problem can be diagnosed with medical tests during pregnancy.
Tips to check Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism can be controlled with nutritious food. Pregnant women and feeding mothers should follow some diet rules.
- Women suffering from Hyperthyroidism lose weight quickly. So these have to take sufficient carbohydrates and vitamins. Milk, milk products, Ragi gruel, dosa, idli etc give good results. Iron rich food should be included in the diet to reduce weakness and weariness. For this eggs, green vegetables, chicken, dates etc should be included in the diet.
- To give strength to the body, food should be taken more times in small quantities during the day. Sugarless fresh fruit juice should be taken frequently to regularize functioning of Thyroid gland. Immunity also increases. Carbohydrates in sea fish are good for the health. One food taken daily helps for the metabolism of the body.
- Proper care should be taken about the oil that is used to cook food. Olive, Rice bran, ground nut and Gingelly oil should be used. These protect the skin. Sprouts of various varieties should be taken in limited quality.
- Hyperthyroidism patients should be away from Trans Fatty Acids. Fried food, biscuits, cakes and French fries should be avoided. Tea, coffee and cool drinks should also be avoided. These affect the metabolism.
- Cabbage, Cauliflower, Pears, Spinach and Soya beans should be eaten. These control the Thyroid hormone.
Tips to check Hypothyroidism
Stress, dry skin, constipation, body pains, joint and muscle pains, increasing body weight, heavy bleeding during menstruation are the symptoms of Hypothyroidism. Production of less Thyroxin hormone by Thyroid gland leads to this problems. Women who are planning for pregnancy should undergo Thyroid tests first. If this problem is neglected, they have to face problems like anemia.
- Milk, Cheese, meat, Apricots, dates and egg white provide Iodine to the body.
- Oats, Jowar, millets should be taken daily. These digest slowly and reduce the over weight problem and also fat.
- Fruits, fresh vegetables should be taken for energy.
- Egg white, fish and meat provide carbohydrates.
- Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, pears and strawberries should not be taken by the patients of Hypothyroidism because these influence the Thyroid levels. Ground nuts also should be taken only when they are cooked.
- Studies revealed that Hypothyroidism problem increases when Soya is taken.
- Eating garlic keeps the Iodine levels in body in control.
- Food should be taken in small quantities for six times during the day.
- Constipation is a common problem in Hypothyroidism. These people should take fiber rich food and drink lot of water.
- Selenium which is available in fish, meat and mushrooms should be taken.